Healthier Peanut Butter and Jelly Swirl cups you say?! These delicious healthy mini treats are the perfect on-the-go snack option of dessert to pack for your kids lunch without feeling guilty at all!
We always hear about the peanut butter cups but never about the peanut butter and jelly swirl cups!
Well, I am here to bring you that one special recipe, that’s both different and satisfying.
I’ve had the pleasure of getting a shipment of the new Fokkennuts peanut butter and I can definitely say that they are so so tasty! They contain minimal ingredients which I absolutely love and they also use NON-GMO peanuts.
Anyways, after receiving all 5 five flavors from Brandan I decided to start by using the plain flavors to bring you this special peanut butter and jelly swirl cup recipe!
What makes these healthy?
Well, I usually like to argue that anything you make at home is “healthy”… By that, I mean that you know what is in it and can control everything that you add into your recipe.
When it comes to these healthier peanut butter and jelly swirl cups, we are first of all using peanut butter that is pure and has so extra additives.
Many kinds of peanut butter these days claim to be healthy while still using hydrogenated oils, sugar, corn syrups, etc … So make sure to read your labels before purchasing anything!
The next thing that makes these healthier homemade Strawberry jam, this strawberry jam has no white sugar added to it! I’m telling you, you have to start making things at home and not purchasing everything! It allows you to control how much of each ingredient to use to keep your food healthy!
Next is the coconut oil, in this recipe, I am using unrefined coconut oil because it is the one that is least manipulated and processed. When purchasing coconut oil, I like to get it organic, this makes me feel like I am feeding my body properly!
Ingredients for this peanut butter and jelly swirl cups:
This recipe does not require much at all, it is made using:
- Peanut butter… Duh! – For the base of this recipe we want to start with a peanut butter that is less processed and only has few ingredients!
- Coconut oil – I like to use organic coconut oil, but any coconut oil works. This will help solidify these healthier peanut butter and jelly swirls cups when we refrigerate them!
- Jam or jelly or preserve – Always chose the option that has less sugar is you are going to go purchase this. If not you can make your own, just like I did!
- some raw honey or agave or maple syrup– This can definitely be omitted if you are trying to cut on your sugar intake!
- Sea Salt – I always love adding salt to my sweets because It makes them taste even better! UMAMI !!
I try to aim for a more natural and unsweetened peanut butter, this allows me to have a blank canvas to work with and add as much or as little sugar to the mix as I want. On the other hand, if you have some peanut butter already and don’t want to go out purchasing something else, it’s all good!
Use what you have and taste it to see if it needs more sweetness.
Jam, Jelly and preserve:
I sure hope that I was not the only one that was confused about these terms, yes they can be used interchangeably but they also all have different meanings.
Jelly – The fruit in this option comes in the form of juice. The result of this one will give us the smoothest consistency with a usually clear finished product.
Jam – The fruit in this option comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit. The result will be less stiff than jelly
Preserve – The fruit in this option comes in the form of chunks in a gel or syrup. Preserves tend to have more fruit in them than the jam does, an example of the preserve in marmalade. Marmalade is a type of preserve that contains citrus fruit in it.
For this recipe, I used my homemade strawberry jam I didn’t add the chia seeds in this time but it still came out super tasty! You could also go with store bought fruit jam just pick something that is organic and contains less sugar than your regular jams out there.
How long will these Healthier Peanut Butter and Jelly cups last:
I have to warn you first, these won’t last. They are so tasty that they just won’t make it past a couple of days! But just in case you do have the self control that I don’t usually have, they last up to 3 months when stored in an airtight container in the freezer!
I like to store these in the freezer and have one when that extreme sweet tooth hits! It usually tends to satisfy it right away 🙂
Healthier Peanut butter and Jelly Swirl cups recipe
Healthy Peanut Butter & Jelly Swirl cups
- 1/4 cup smooth nuts peanut butter
- 1/4 cup crunchy nuts peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp strawberry jam
- Start by combining the peanut butters, the honey, the coconut oil, and the pinch of salt in a small mixing bowl and stir well. If the peanut butter is too stiff, microwave it for 15 seconds.
- Place your liners in a mini cupcake tin and fill in your peanut butter mixture, add 1/4 teaspoon of the strawberry jam on top of each peanut butter cup. Swirl the jam into the peanut butter using a toothpick or a sharp knife. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or until the peanut butter has hardened
- Store the peanut butter and jelly cups in an airtight container in the freezer.
If you tried this tasty healthy peanut butter and jelly cup recipe, make sure to let me know how you liked it in the comments down bellow!
More recipes you will absolutely love!
- Healthy homemade strawberry chia jam (no sugar added)
- Healthy Strawberry and Cream Oatmeal Recipe for two
- Berry Chia Seed parfait
- Lemon and strawberry vegan tart
Products that I love
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase