Ever foud yourself craving chocolate chip cookies but did not have any brown sugar at the house?! Well, with this recipe you will be able to make the perfect chocolate chip and M&M’s cookies with no brown sugar!
So first of all, I would like to say that I am so sorry for going completely MIA. I traveled abroad to visit my family and I haven’t had the time to make anything worthwhile but this time I finally did it… Or should I say my little brother and cousin finally made this happen. They have been wanting cookies for a while and obviously, I did not want to disappoint so I accepted the challenge of making some cookies with kids. It always full of fun and laughter until you get to the dishes…For some reason, there always seems to be more dishes when there are kids involved!! But it was a good time and the chocolate chips and m&m’s cookie recipe came out amazing so it is a win-win situation!
So here is the catch, in Algeria, I have not been able to find any brown sugar… You know, the kind that you use to make your cookies super chewy and moist on the inside while still having them be a little crispy on the outside… So for the past 10 years or so I would always avoid having to make cookies here, but this year I thought to myself that I could try out a couple of recipes and help out some of my friends and family that lives here. I started trying out a couple of recipes but most didn’t work until I stumbled upon this one! I decided to add some M&M’s to this already great chocolate chip cookie recipe just to dress it up a bit more for the kids and let me tell you they loved it! So here it is, to all my friends and family here in Algeria no brown sugar doesn’t mean you can’t make some awesome chocolate chip cookies!
Homemade Chocolate chip and M&M’s® cookies [No brown sugar]
Yield 20 cookies
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes to an hour (without the overnight rest)
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
or regular chocolate chips chopped up
1/2 cup mini m&m’s**
- Start by putting the butter and the sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix it until the color lightens and the texture becomes creamy.
- Add the egg, then the vanilla and beat some more.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt, then add the chocolate chips.
- In my case, I used 3/4 cups of regular chocolate chips but I roughly chopped them before adding them to the dry mixture.
- To the large mixing bowl add the dry mixture 1/3 at a time while stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Gently knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until firm.
- shape the dough into a log and wrap it in saran wrap, leave it in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
The next day,
- preheat the oven to 350°
- remove the cookie log from the fridge and slice the cookies dough into 20 pieces. Shape the dough into thick circles and place them on the parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. The cooking time depends on your oven so make sure to check on the cookies every 10 minutes or so to avoid having burnt cookies.
- E N J O Y your delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies with a cold glass of milk and if you don’t end up finishing all of them store them in an air tight ocntainer 🙂 !
** The m&m’s can be left out in this recipe while keeping all the other ingredients the same!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media to stay up to date
Make sure to use #TDfoodi when you try out these recipes and post them 🙂 and for all my Algerian friends make sure to send me a message or comment on the post if you need any translation help !
Have an awesome Monday, and I will talk to you guys next week!